An eye for an eye may turn the world blind, but cataract seems to be a more common calamity, which hampers our vision nowadays. Behind the iris and pupil in our eye sits a clear lens, which bends light rays to focus on the retina and makes us see the world. However, as some of usage, the clear lens often becomes denser and causes clouding of the lens. This phenomenon is medically termed cataract, which we are here to discuss today.
Although cataract takes quite a while to show its presence felt yet if you see the following signs, it is safe to assume that you need to see a doctor immediately:
- Blurred vision, which almost looks like you are looking through a piece of cloudy glass.
- Images, lights, and objects often seem to have a blurred halo like edge.
- Colors do not seem as vibrant as they used to.
- Difficulty seeing in a low light situation like during the dusk or at night.
- A strong source of light like from a lamp or sun seems to be too glaring to tolerate comfortably.
- Need to upgrade your glasses quite frequently.
The natural lens within our eyes which we talked about earlier is mainly made up of two simple components – water and protein. Each of the molecules is blocked together precisely like a perfectly fitted jig-saw puzzle, which keeps a healthy lens clear. But, as we age, the protein molecules seem to clump together and cause the clouding of the lens, which keeps on spreading all over the lens over time.
Preventive Steps to slow down Cataract
Although research is still undergoing in full swing yet, researchers are still on the fence whether cataract can be prevented or slowed down reasonably, and some studies have yielded positive results. So, here are a few tips to counter cataract –
- The studies have shown that oxidative changes in the lens of the eye are one of the reasons for cataract, which can be countered by consuming a diet rich in antioxidants. Vitamin E, carotenoids lutein, and zeaxanthin from food or supplements can also decrease the risk of cataract.
- Cataract seems to affect those who expose their eyes to UV rays more than who take proper protection to shield their eyes from it. Wearing quality protective sunglasses while heading out in the sun is essential.
Treatment for Cataract
Medications in the form of eye drops or pills have not been developed to cure cataract as of now, and surgery is the most effective way to cure cataract completely. And, the surgery is relatively painless and quite convenient to opt for, and the patient is discharged within the same day in general.
So, if you are facing any issue with your vision, then see a trustworthy doctor, who has expertise in cataract surgery, Melbourne, and you can discuss for the surgery depending on your need and the doctor’s recommendation. You can expect to find complete clarity in your vision post-surgery.
Share your Guest Post with GuestPostingWorld