PET CT is a test of diagnostic imaging which is used mainly for the recognition of cancer and various other diseases. The pet ct Hyderabad center provides all possible types of pet-ct scans. The PET-CT Scan is a test performed on a particular PET-CT machine that shows the two scans collectively:
• PET scan: the component of Positron Emission Tomography or PET scan marks the most active cells in the body. For the duration of the test, a little dose of a radioactive tracer injects into the patient’s body. This molecule is an isotope that is actively captured by the majority of the active cancer cells in the body. Marker uptake calculates by the PET scan component of the PET / CT scan, to underline and mark most cancers.
• Computed tomography: computerised tomography or computed tomography uses for the anatomical location of the body. A diagnostic quality CT scan performs with the PET scan for the anatomical estimation of the tests. Before the examination, all patients receive oral contrast (positive/negative) to drink. During the examination, intravenous contrast is injected (unless the creatinine is high/previous allergy history/discretion of the referring physician).
Various Types of PET-CT scans
A doctor will tell the patient which marker is best for their PET CT scan. The following PET scanning markers and protocols are available with HOD:
•Whole body PET scan: PET scan of the entire body with 18F-FDG (18F-fluorodeoxyglucose).It is the general scan and comprises 90% of all PET scanners.
• For the prostate: PSMA PET-CT labelled with Ga68 (prostate-specific antigen) PSMA PET-CT. PSMA is superior at locating prostate cancer cases compared to whole body FDG PET.
• For neuroendocrine tumours: DOTA labelled with Ga68 – DOTA PET-CT Scan. DOTA is excellent at finding cases of NET (Neuro Endocrine Tumors) compared to PET with FDG for the whole body.
•For the abdomen: FDG PET-CT of the entire body with triple phase CT Abdomen superior
• For the evaluation of cardiac viability: PET-cardiac CT (FDG PET CT Scan + cardiac test component in a gamma camera)
Check it out:FOODS THAT SHOULD AVOID WHILE YOU HAVE DIABETES
Some Preparation steps for PET-CT scans
1. Fasting: 4-6 hours of fasting are mandatory. Throughout the night fasting is ideal. During the fasting period, only pure water is allowed.
2. Drugs in progress: Please inform the doctor who is going to perform the scan about any medication in progress, because it may require particular preparation for the examination.
3. Counselling for people with diabetes for full-body PET-CT scanning: On the day of the test: diabetic patients should have a light breakfast at 6:00 a.m. and should take the suggested recipe. It is essential that the patient does not miss the medication for diabetes on the morning of the date of the test. There is a need to inform the doctor about diabetes prescription so they can plan what the desire for analysis is.
4. Creatinine and urea tests: Blood tests for serum creatinine and urea are mandatory before the test. If the patient have a high creatinine value, contact scan expert to contact the doctor, for more advice.
5. Clinical records: When a PET scan has performed, bring all related medical records as a reference (doctor’s prescription, previous CT / MRI scans along with reports, treatment summary, discharge documents, surgery details, biopsy/reports of postoperative histopathology, etc.). The arrangement of these clinical records helps doctors to develop and identify the specific diagnostic information of their case.
6. Previous records: If an earlier pet scan performed, do not forget to bring the DICOM version on a CD and reports. Without the CD of the last scan pet, it will not be possible to make a comparison to calculate the improvement or deterioration of cancer.
Time in use for PET CT Scan
The entire PET CT Scan process takes about 3-4 hours. The scan time itself is approximately 30-45 minutes depending on the patient clinical conditions.
1. Verification of documents: after arriving at the location at the specified time, the reception staff verifies the patient’s documents are they complete. Make sure that the patient brings all hospital records and previous scan reports and image. If it is not been perform in the last days of dew, the necessary tests of creatinine and Urea Blood made for its analysis.
2. Verification of vital signs: after getting creatinine and urea, the technical team will verify the vital signs of the patient, to rule out general problems, like fever, and then perform a blood glucose test at the site in search of Cases of FDG PET Scan to make sure its viability the scanning
3. Tracer administration: Patient PET tracer will then administered, and to patient oral contrast will be given to drink and wait until the medicine absorbs the medication.
4. PET-computed tomography: Patient will have to lie down on the machine for some minutes and follow the instructions of the Nuclear Physicist for PET tomography.
5. Contrast IV and PET scan with CECT: Unless the contrast contraindicats or the creatinine is experimental to be high, the IV contrast will inject through a Pressure Injector for the CT Contrast. Later than injecting the contrast, the PET-CT scan with the comparison is to be done.
6. Additional sequencing (if required): In various cases like full-body PET-CT with triple abdomen phase or if mandatory by the nuclear medicine doctor. A patient may need to spend a few extra minutes on the machine after performing the routine scan of the pet for delays or other phase acquisitions.
7. Wait for Films and a CD: In the majority of cases, Films and CD of patient’s scan will ready within a couple of hours after the scan.
8. Wait for the reports: Since the PET-CT Scan is a full examination; the team of doctors will review and report patient study within 24 to 48 business hours. The patient should receive an SMS about your report as soon as the PET scan and other tests are accepted (if applicable).
Most oncologists execute a computed tomography and bone scan before ordering a PET / CT scan. The Pet ct scan centre in Hyderabad is the best place for this scan because they perform all the necessary precaution which is mandatory for the patient.