The human body is comprised of various elements. Although most of the elements present in men and women are identical to each other, the different ones distinguish them from each other and categorize them into male and female thereby providing them their respective identities and gender. One such thing is the presence of hormones. Both men and women have estrogens (female hormones) and androgens (male hormones) present in their body. However, there is more presence of estrogens among women and the higher presence of androgens among men that gives them their respective features. Sometimes, men may have more of estrogens in their body that can lead to the appearance of certain characteristics unacceptable to them. This type of character is gynecomastia which in simple terms is enlarged breasts.
Treatments for Gynecomastia
Generally, gynecomastia reverses itself and no treatment is required for it especially among adolescents and young men as with advancement of age, their estrogen levels get cured.
Many times, the gynecomastia is caused due to the intake of certain medicine or drug for treatment of some medical condition. This can lead to hormonal imbalance. Once the medication is stopped or its dosage is reduced, improvement can be seen in the size of enhanced breasts.
In some other cases, a gynecomastia surgery could be required to get rid of the enlarged breasts or the medical practitioner could recommend some drugs to reduce the size of enlarged breasts.
Can diet help to reduce the estrogen levels?
Yes, diet is the cure to almost anything. A diet can alter the amount of estrogen present in men’s body and help in controlling its presence. The following foods are found to be naturally effective in lowering the estrogen levels:
- Pomegranates: consumption of pomegranates works in two respects. Firstly, it raises the amount of testosterone among men when consumed daily and secondly, it considerably cuts down the estrogen levels.
- Cruciferous vegetables: these vegetables comprise of compounds DIM (3’3
diindonylmethane) and IC3 ( Iindole-3-Carbinol) that help the body in naturally getting rid of estrogens from the liver. They also contain chlorophyll and plant sterols which are both responsible for the reduction of estrogen level. The foods rich in Cruciferous are Broccoli, kale, brusselsprouts, artichokes, cauliflower, cabbage, bok choy, turnip, radish, watercress, etc.
- Maca: Maca is root vegetable like that of potato. It is believed to raise the testosterone levels though there is no certain evidence to that now. The thing that is certain about maca is that it decreases the estrogen concentration. This is because it is also a cruciferous vegetable that has the maximum presence of the DIM compound.
- Mushrooms: the different varieties of mushrooms are found to substantially lower the estrogen content.
- Grapes and red wine: red wine is made up of grapes. If one consumes alcohol, then red wine is the answer to get rid of gynecomastia or for non-alcoholic ones, red grapes are the answer. They are found to contain reservatrol and various other polyphenols that have estrogen lowering properties. Also, they have a compound called proanthocyanidin that has anti-estrogenic properties. The skin of red grapes comprises of flavonoid called quercetin that again bears anti-estrogenic attributes.
- Chia seeds: the chia seeds are much similar to commonly known flax seeds. They are rich in Omega-3, vitamins, and nutrients. The only difference between the two is that while the former one is known to be androgenic, the later one is estrogenic. Thus, chia seeds are the one meant for the consumption of men.
- Citrus fruits: the citrus fruits contain many elements and compounds that have anti-estrogenic properties. These compounds are flavonoids, antioxidants, Calcium-D-Glucarate, quercetin, limonoids, and naringenin. The foods rich in citrus fruit are grapefruits, limes, and lemon.
- Onions: onions can be eaten raw and can be used in any food. They have properties that triple the testosterone levels and decrease the estrogen.
- Turmeric: Turmeric is a very healthy food known for its antiseptic properties since ages. It also raises the testosterone level and marginalizes the estrogen content.
Overall, it is not a daunting task to control the level of estrogen from the male body as, by consumption of simple food items which are profusely available in the supermarkets and stores, it can be easily controlled.
Share your Guest Post with Guest Posting World